Re: [TenTec] Alpha Amplifiers and TEN-TEC Merge

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Alpha Amplifiers and TEN-TEC Merge
From: Douglas via TenTec <tentec@contesting.com>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2014 13:13:31 -0700 (PDT)
I doubt that it is good news for Ten-Tec enthusiasts.

Companies that are doing well financially are rarely for sale and/or its owners
are rarely willing to merge.
As a both past and currently self employed businessman, I speak from experience.

Also RF Concepts has gone through several owners in the last decade or so.
Founded as Ehrhorn Technological Operations, it's gone through a lot of
instability. Its relatively new owner is probably trying to create a big enough
asset/customer base to survive. Several other Amateur Radio linear amp makers
have left the market.
Just a few months ago Tokyo-Hypower declared bankruptcy, etc.

About 5 years ago Ten-Tec was booming with a huge military contract. Those
contracts have ended with the winding down of the Iraqi/Afghan wars. When they
began to greatly reduce their QST advertising, etc, I suspected that their
business was slowing.

Merging two companies that are financially weak rarely creates a stronger unit.
Look up Studebaker - Packard merger, Nash - Hudson Merger, etc.

73,

Doug/WA1TUT

.