Re: [TenTec] OT: Chinese Amplifiers

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] OT: Chinese Amplifiers
From: geoffrey mendelson <geoffreymendelson@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2014 23:07:12 +0300
On 5/28/2014 10:06 PM, Robert wrote:
My concern is the spectral purity. I know it may say it meets "bla bla" but from my
experience that is just text printed on a label.  Yes the label is required for the item to
be sold in the US but does it really meet the requirements?  Two current and popular
transceivers I've recently repaired & tested do not meet spectral purity.   Yet both have
labels indicating they do conform.

Buy the crap radios & amps but don't complain about crap performance.  After
all one gets what they paid.......not much.

The Chinese certifications are self certifications. The company submits a report that their device complies and if the data is correct, then it is certified. NO ONE every checks to see if the device sold matches the one in the report.

Actually I think the FCC does now does that too.

For example, the BAOFENG UV-3R and UV-5R were certified as passing part 90 specs. Sort of. They pass all of the spectural purity, on frequency, etc tests, but no one bothered to check if you really could lock it in channel mode. You can't, so all of them are field programmable.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson 4X1GM/N3OWJ
Jerusalem Israel.