Re: [TenTec] It's getting cold. Perfect antenna weather for a OCF dipole

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] It's getting cold. Perfect antenna weather for a OCF dipole
From: Reed <w4jz@bellsouth.net>
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2015 14:14:00 -0500
Back in 1997 I bought a OCF, which was called a TNT Windom made by Antennas West, that I still use today. It is 135 feet long has a balun & isolation choke made of ferrite beads. I don't know what balun he used, but this antenna is rated at 500 watts PEP & no tuner is needed except on 30 meters which is 3:1 SWR. I use this on 75/80, 40, 17, & 12 meters. Have a beam for 20/15/10 meters, but have used it on these bands with no problems, just the beam has better gain of course.

If on SSB I run around 350 watts on 75/80 & 40 meters and never had the ferrite beads to cause any problems. I did, by accident, run 900 watts out on 75 meters and did melt the coax under the ferrite beads. Had to cut a foot off coax and move beads down, but they handle 350 watts with no problems on SSB. On CW or digital I usually run QRP, 3 to 5 watts out, but I have operated over 100 watts out on RTTY with no problems of beads heating up.

I want to say the balun is a 6:1, but I can't seem to find the instructions. It is 43 feet on the short side, which I have to run as an inverted V to stay inside my yard and the 92 foot is horizontal. Apex is up 25 feet. It came with 97 feet of RG-8X coax and the antenna wire is insulated #14 QuietFlex. All for $89.95 ready to install with coax connectors.

Antennas More bought Antennas West out & list the TNT on their site, but I don't know if it is the same quality. I know they have one that the ends of antenna wire hang down but, I know 2 hams that tried it & didn't like it.

73,
Reed  W4JZ