Re: Topband: Transceiver for 160

To: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>, <Topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Transceiver for 160
From: "EP Swynar" <gswynar@durham.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 07:23:22 -0400
On Thursday 18th Oct 2007 Bruce  wrote:

"...I would like to know, which transceiver that people would
recommend for 160 meter DX Use?"

*************************

Well, if you're into vintage stuff, I'd heartily recommend a good, used Icom
751A transceiver --- it's my personal favourite for CW here, as compared to
my other OT rig, i.e. a Yaesu FT-980 (which, BTW, is a great-sounding 'phone
transceiver).

Alas & alack, though, the '751A is still in sick bay (a local oscillator
stops oscillating whenever I transmit, for reasons unknown), & the Yaesu
just crapped-out the other day! (no voltage to the MRF422 finals, for
reasons yet unknown).

So, I'm dead in the water here, for now...

I am seriously THIS CLOSE to chucking these two, & buying a good,
hollow-state Drake "B" line to replace them both --- at least I can
understand that technology, work with it, & there's no issue with parts
"un"-availability!

BTW, does ANYONE on 160 anymore use anything like the Drake twins these
days, or is it all strictly Omnis & Yaesus out there to-day...?

~73~ Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ