Re: Topband: Need Help IDing Noise

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Need Help IDing Noise
From: K4SAV <RadioIR@charter.net>
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2007 10:19:14 -0500
Cliff Frescura wrote:

>Greetings,
>
>I'm having some noise issues on 160m, 80m and 40m, with 160 the worst.

Looking at the waveforms, the 160 meter recording has very strong 2.5
KHz and 120 Hz components.  The 40 meter recording has very strong 1.75
KHz and 120 Hz components.  It appears as something arcing on each half
cycle of 60 Hz.  The sound is typical of power line noise and so are the
waveforms.  My guess is that it is something on a power pole.  The two
worst offenders on power poles seem to be the lightning suppressors and
bad insulators.

Jerry, K4SAV