Re: Topband: Narrow Filtering

To: "TopBand" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Narrow Filtering
From: "David Raymond" <daraymond@iowatelecom.net>
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2010 21:22:56 -0600
> When there is a run station every 300 Hz, it becomes difficult
> to distinguish between a station calling me off-frequency
> vs a station calling my "neighbor" on-frequency.

The importance of zero beating the station being called becomes increasingly
important.  The art of zero beat is certainly not what it used to be.
Compounding this with stations running extremely narrow bandwidths creates a
lot of confusion and frustration.  When you add in excessive QRQ and 2
seconds of listening time between CQs (or less), it's no wonder some big run
stations miss a lot of Qs.  It's not exactly like running JA from NA on 10m
in the peak of the sunspot cycle.

73. . .Dave
W0FLS

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK