Topband: HVDC

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: HVDC
From: "Craig Clark" <jcclark@myfairpoint.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2015 11:36:01 -0500

Message: 5
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2015 13:06:10 -0500
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
To: <topband@contesting.com>,   "Ws9v" <ws9v@royell.net>
Subject: Re: Topband: HVDC

> Through the center part of Illinois they have begun work at the government

> level to install a 690,000 VDC power line As with all this there is huge
> amount of opposition an even groups trying to ban it
>
> Does anyone have any experience with a line of such high VDC as a noise
> source ? It will pass within 3/4 of a mile south of my QTH
>

> I am really concerned my only hope if this goes thru is to pull up stakes
> an move rather than attempt to fight its noise
>
> Any thoughts

I think people are being silly.

Not only has there never been any evidence (beyond some fraudulent thing
that created hysteria) that power lines ever cause health problems,  a dc
line has much less radiation.

As far as Ham radio, a dc is far less problematic for noise.  690 kV dc is
like 487 kV ac, except the line doesn't have the charging and discharging
issues that generate a lot of noise in bad connections.

The only possible issues would be noise at the dc-to-ac converters, but they

might be miles from you.

I wouldn't worry, and I would not support those who worry about other issues

like safety or health.

73 Tom

>Tom is referring to a book published in 1976 by Paul Brodeur titled "The
Zapping of America."
>The subject was bio-effects of AC powerlines. He also wrote several
articles for the New Yorker
>which is a well known "scientific journal."
>Most of the objections are from environmental issues. We have the "Northern
Pass" project in NH that is driving the Sierra Club