Re: Topband: HVDC

To: <topband@contesting.com>, "Ws9v" <ws9v@royell.net>
Subject: Re: Topband: HVDC
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2015 13:06:10 -0500
Through the center part of Illinois they have begun work at the government level to install a 690,000 VDC power line As with all this there is huge amount of opposition an even groups trying to ban it

Does anyone have any experience with a line of such high VDC as a noise source ? It will pass within 3/4 of a mile south of my QTH

I am really concerned my only hope if this goes thru is to pull up stakes an move rather than attempt to fight its noise

Any thoughts

I think people are being silly.

Not only has there never been any evidence (beyond some fraudulent thing that created hysteria) that power lines ever cause health problems, a dc line has much less radiation.

As far as Ham radio, a dc is far less problematic for noise. 690 kV dc is like 487 kV ac, except the line doesn't have the charging and discharging issues that generate a lot of noise in bad connections.

The only possible issues would be noise at the dc-to-ac converters, but they might be miles from you.

I wouldn't worry, and I would not support those who worry about other issues like safety or health.

73 Tom