Re: Topband: HVDC

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: HVDC
From: Lloyd Berg N9LB <lloydberg@charter.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2015 15:34:32 -0500 (EST)
American Transmission Company built and activated a 345KW line right thru Madison, WI two years ago. Huge towers, huge green glass insulators. The line runs right past my XYL's office window, about 100' distance. Once activated, I used a Gauss meter to measure the magnetic field in her office - unmeasurable with the background AC fields from office wiring and computers. The highest readings were near light switches and a few old CRT monitors.

Also, I drive right under the lines every day on the Beltline Highway in Madison, no effect on Madison Stations and I can even listen to the big AM radio stations in Chicago about 150 miles distant.

I have much more power line noise along the secondary roads with lower voltage distribution 2.3KV to 68KV lines.

You can read about it here: http://www.atc-projects.com/projects/rockdale-west-middleton-project/

select Rockdale-West Middleton

So I'd recommend that you not "pull up stakes".

- - -

BTW, the local utilities companies are converting their water, gas, and electric meters to "RF remote read". The same people that fought the power line are now fighting the water, gas and electric utilities saying that their "meters are bathing them in radiation that could cause cancer right in their own houses". Baloney!

Also, the cellular telephone companies have been putting cell-site antennas on the light towers at local school sports stadiums - providing revenue to the schools. Due to an outcry by the same group people, the city has now outlawed cell phone towers on school property. More Baloney!

I go to Radio Club meeting attended by many healthy 70, 80 and 90 year olds that have been sitting next to their rigs, amps and antennas since they were kids and are still healthy.

So I'm not too worried and magnetic fields and RF.

73

Lloyd - N9LB