Cold Temps & Guys

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Cold Temps & Guys
From: iadiahfd@NETINS.NET (Larry Lindblom)
Date: Tue, 24 Dec 1996 11:11:37 -0600 (CST)
At 10:15 AM 12/24/96 -0500, you wrote:

>>Ok...Here is another dumb questions I've always wondered about!
>
>      This isn't a dumb question at all!
>>
>>How does cold temperatures affect guy wires?  Do they shrink in cold and
>>expand in hot?
>>
>     Yes they do.  The only example I have is for 1/4 inch EHS; maybe one of
>our more engineering enlightened tower heads can fill in the 3/16 info (I've
>got the formulas if anyone's interested).
>
>73,  Steve  K7LXC

Now for another "dumb question", what about the Philystran type of guying
material.  Any data on contraction or expansion?  Also, given the variation
in tension with the temperature what should I do?  Should the guys be
retensioned based on a change if temperature?  If yes, how big a change in
temp before doing this?  I for one don't relish the though of retensioning
the guys on two 120+ foot towers when it is 10 below.

Hey, don't forget to light your tower tonight.  You wouldn't want a jolly
old fat man, a loaded sled, and 8 reindeer doing an emperical test of what
happens when an irresistable force (Santa and crew) meets an immoveable
object (your tower)!

73 to All

WA0 (have an) Extra Terrific Christmas