Cold Temps & Guys

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Cold Temps & Guys
From: wayne@campnet.nb.ca (Wayne Alexander)
Date: Tue, 24 Dec 1996 12:06:00 -0400 (AST)
Is the shrinkage of the tower factored into the figures below???

On Tue, 24 Dec 1996 K7LXC@aol.com wrote:

> >Ok...Here is another dumb questions I've always wondered about!
>
>       This isn't a dumb question at all!
> >
> >How does cold temperatures affect guy wires?  Do they shrink in cold and
> >expand in hot?
> >
>      Yes they do.  The only example I have is for 1/4 inch EHS; maybe one of
> our more engineering enlightened tower heads can fill in the 3/16 info (I've
> got the formulas if anyone's interested).
>
> >Now...  I use to have 1/4 inch guys on the tower several years ago that dod
> >just that.  Well, this time when I put up the tower I purchase new guy wire
> >(the other stuff was hard to work with and I didn't need all that guys wire
> >for a 60 foot tower...besides, I hade saddle and clamps...so I moved on to
> >grips).  I've been checking them now that the temp has been at 5 to 10
> >degrees for the past week and they have not tighted like the old guys.
>
>      Here's the 1/4 inch EHS info:
>
> Temp.   Pounds tension
> 120       502#
> 90         583#
> 60         665#
> 30         747#
> 0           829#
>
> These figures assume initial tension of 665# at 60 degrees F and for guys
> which are 45 degrees to the horizontal.
>
>      You can see how they contract in cold weather and the tension goes up.
>  If you do your erection in any of those temperatures, the initial tension
> should correspond to this temperature corrected figure.
>
> 73,  Steve  K7LXC
>
>     TOWER TECH -- professional tower supplies and services for amateurs
>
> --
> Problems:                 K7LXC@contesting.com

D. Wayne Alexander         1 506 752 2290               Server Administrator
Wilson's Beach           waynea@campnet.nb.ca               [ CampNet ]
New Brunswick                                            Wilson's Beach, NB
E0G 3L0                                                   Canada   E0G 3L0