Re: [TowerTalk] Help in planning a new QTH

To: "Peter Dougherty (W2IRT)" <w2irt@nac.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Help in planning a new QTH
From: Bill Coleman <aa4lr@arrl.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 20:09:27 -0500
On Mar 14, 2005, at 11:14 PM, Peter Dougherty (W2IRT) wrote:

> The one rub to all this is whatever I put up has to not freak out an
> otherwise-tolerant XYL. I'd thought a 55 footer with a single SteppIR
> 4-element (plus a VEE or sloper for the low bands) was the best way to
> go,
> but in chatting with another esteemed list-member, that thought was
> essentially dismissed so I'm back to square one.

Even a small tribander at 50 feet will give pretty reasonable
performance. A tribander will cover 20-10m. Some units also have 40m
capability, or you can look to stack the tribander with a 40m rotatable
dipole or 2 element yagi, if you can manage about 8-12 feet of
separation.

For 80m, lay down 20-50 radials and shunt feed the tower.

For 160m, adapt the shunt for this band as well. And tell me how you
did it, I'm still trying to figure that part out.

Seriously, if you have lots of trees at your new QTH, you can used them
to hold up an inverted L or a dipole for the low bands.

             -- Wilbur Wright, 1901