Re: [TowerTalk] How can a SteppIR Perform So Well?

To: "'Bill Coleman'" <aa4lr@arrl.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] How can a SteppIR Perform So Well?
From: "Joe Subich, K4IK" <k4ik@subich.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 15:39:28 -0500
Bill Coleman writes:

> On Mar 17, 2005, at 11:47 AM, Joe Subich, K4IK wrote:
>
> > The three element SteppIR is a valid comparison to your C3 ...
> > the SteppIR has half the elements on a boom that is two feet
> > shorter.
>
> But, isn't the C3 really a set of optimized two-element yagis
> co-located on the same boom? Isn't the effective boom length
> of the C3 substantially shorter than the overall length, at
> least on 15m and 10m?
>
> To some degree, it's an apples / oranges kind of comparison.

While the C3 may be a set of two element antennas located on a
common boom, its turning radius and boom length are larger
than the three element SteppIR.  When looking at an antenna,
I look at performance per unit of volume.  The C3E *is*
four elements on 10 meters ... so where does it fit?

In reality, the C3/C3E, C-19XR, XR-5, three element SteppIR,
A-3, A-4, TH-3, TH-5, Explorer 14, X-7, ASL-2010, etc. all fall
in the same "space."  They are tri- or penta-band antennas with
booms less than 20 feet, turning radius less than 20 feet and
weighing less than 60 pounds.

If someone is extremely space limited, they might consider the
two element SteppIR, C3SS, TH2, or MA5B ... otherwise, unless
they're looking for a "competition class" multiband antenna
(C31XR, four element SteppIR, TH-7, TH-11) their choice will
come from the mid-size (20'x20'x60#) antennas.

Once can argue about the tradeoffs: traps vs. trapless,
multi-monoband vs. tunable (Force 12 vs. SteppIR), three
or five bands, yagi vs. log periodic, etc.  but it is all
within this group of antennas compete in the same market.
The user's personal preferences/priorities/trade offs will
be the determining factor.

73,

   ... Joe, K4IK