Re: [TowerTalk] Rohn HDBX48 failure

To: towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rohn HDBX48 failure
From: Doug Renwick <ve5ra@sasktel.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 21:09:40 -0600
Thanks Chuck for the details.  From your description the destruction
was initiated by a guy failure, possibly the guy sawing through the
tower leg.  As Jim notes, the use of a proper guy bracket with a
suitably strong and tensioned guy would have saved the tower.  BTW
my Delhi towers are guyed using the Delhi bracket, thimble and all,
and my rotors are mounted 10 or so feet below the top of the tower.
For years I thought about using torque arms, dithered, and found that
with properly tensioned guys I did not need torque arms.  Yes I can
push the antenna boom and watch the tower twist below me, but it only
twists as far as the tensioned guys allow.  We learn from our own
and others experiences.

Doug/VA5DX