Re: [TowerTalk] Rohn HDBX48 failure

To: <ve5ra@sasktel.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>,"Chuck Sudds" <chuck@dxham.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rohn HDBX48 failure
From: "Roger K8RI on Tower" <k8ri-tower@charter.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 16:35:27 -0400
<snip>
HDBX48 metal on one leg!  This caused the tower to actually fold over at
the 6ft level, right where the new rotor plate was mounted!   Had I mounted
right at ground level, there is a chance, I guess, that it just might have
survived ;)

One thing I forgot to add in a previous post about rotors mounted down in a
tower.  When mounted "in the tower",  but at the base there is no give to
take up the stress and that small area takes the entire brunt of the torque.
If the rotor has a mount on the concrete, or a seperate mount it removes the
stress from the tower.

N833R - World's oldest Debonair CD-2
www.rogerhalstead.com

As I said, thankfully there was no damage other than the total loss of the
tower and antennas.  The rotor survived, as did the mast, except for the
top piece.  I had alot of damage photos but can't seem to find them right
now but if I do, I will put them out on my web-site for viewing.

Chuck KØTVD