[TowerTalk] Two 15M stacking

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Two 15M stacking
From: Stan Stockton <k5go@cox.net>
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2007 22:45:37 -0600
W4ZV:

Check the results in my link above
versus other MMs using much larger systems...I don't
think you will find their much larger antennas
make a significant difference.

Obviously you have a good antenna system on 10M but (the real compliment
follows, Bill) in my opinion the VAST majority of the reason for your results
or anyone else's results is the operating ability as opposed to the
effectiveness of their antenna system.

You originally said:

My 6 element KLM array has a 3 dB beamwidth of about 54 degrees, which is
plenty for Europe.

There was dispute from K1TTT, I think, who said that more than 4 or 5 elements
was too narrow from the East Coast for Europe.  My example was to add food for
thought regarding a higher gain antenna and just how many degrees off you have
to be to have a weaker signal than with the original antenna.

In my example I said suppose you doubled the boomlength and achieved another 3
dB which would narrow the beamwidth.  Doesn't matter it's a little 4 element
15M Yagi on a 24 foot boom or what.  My point was, that in order to compare two
antennas to know whether you could possibly lose anything because of the narrow
beamwidth, you would have to look at the 3 dB beamwidth of the one with X gain
and then compare it to the 6 dB beamwidth of one with X + 3 dB of gain.  I have
seen some compare the - 3 dB points and say, for example, that because the 3 dB
beamwidth narrowed by 20 degrees that it is too narrow not realizing that they
would still be nearly as strong at the original beamwidth with the additional
gain of the larger antenna.

I'll still take all the gain I can get pointed at DL.

Stan, K5GO