Re: [TowerTalk] Vertical vs Beam

To: "'Richards'" <jruing@ameritech.net>, "'K4SAV'" <RadioIR@charter.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Vertical vs Beam
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Apr 2009 14:35:03 -0400

> I agree with K4SAV - with only one minor exception...
> considering typical urban lot sizes, for many ham I think the
> cross-over band is 40 meters.

Again, it depends on height.  EZNEC and similar software will
show the dipole (in its favored direction) will equal the
vertical at around 50 feet in transmit.  In receive the dipole
will generally be less noisy than the vertical and a rotary
dipole will allow using the nulls off the end to reduce noise
or QRM.

The same comparison tends to hold for a 4-sq and 2 element
yagi on 40 meters.  Once the Yagi (even one with loaded elements)
gets above about 3/8 wave the low angle gain eclipses that of
the phased array and overall gain far exceeds the verticals.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV