Re: [TowerTalk] Vertical vs Beam

To: K4SAV <RadioIR@charter.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Vertical vs Beam
From: Tom Haavisto <kamham69@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Apr 2009 22:21:03 -0400
My experience has been as follows:

I have a half-sloper hanging off a 64 foot self-supporter for 80
meters.  This acts as a vertical.  I have an inverted vee about 250
feet away on a 48 foot tower.  Most of the time, the half sloper is 2
S-units better than the inverted vee.  There has been one exception I
did notice - a few folks within a few hundred miles of me are louder
on the inverted vee.  If I had to choose one antenna, it would be the
half sloper.  I also added quite a few radials to the tower.

On 20, I have a 205 at 64 feet, a 204 at 50 feet and a ground mounted
vertical.  Naturally, the yagis beat the vertical, hands down.
However, in the WPX contest, I had the 205 pointed at Europe, and the
204 pointed at W4.  A W7 would call me, and he would be berely
readable on either yagi.  Switched to the vertical, and away we went.
I used the vertical as a run antenna - at times it was comparable to
the 204 working the east coast, or down slightly.  The vertical also
managed to work JA, and I broke a few EU pileups when the 205 was
pointed the wrong way.

The bottom line being - more antennas is better, and the vertical is
always pointed the right way :-)  In a space limited environment, a
full size vertical for 20 with lots of radials will make for an
excellent antenna.  A few other folks have also made similar
observations in comparing a vertical to a tribander.  The trick being
- the verticals require a good radial system.

Tom - VE3CX