Re: [TowerTalk] Vertical vs Beam

To: "'N7mal'" <n7mal@citlink.net>, "'John Geiger'" <aa5jg@yahoo.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Vertical vs Beam
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Apr 2009 21:52:29 -0400

> First of all a 1/2 wave vertical is a voltage fed
> antenna therefore it doesn't want/need or like a radial
> system. The current portion is 1/4 wave above the feedpoint.

While the current maxima may be 1/4 wave above ground the
high E field end of the 1/2 wave vertical (or vertical
dipole) is very close to the ground.  As a result a 1/2
wave vertical sustains substantial ground losses without
an adequate radial system.

WWV and WWVH had to put radial systems under their vertical
dipoles to reduce ground losses and achieve the predicted
signal strengths.  The FCC requires a full ground system
under all antennas - even 1/2 wave - in the AM broadcast
service unless the station can show through field strength
measurements that the predicted/theoretical field strength
is obtained without it.  Very few AM antennas are 1/4 wave -
many, particularly above 1 MHz are in the vicinity of 1/2
wave.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV