Re: [TowerTalk] Vertical vs Beam

To: "Towertalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Vertical vs Beam
From: "Jim Hargrave" <w5ifp@gvtc.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 2009 14:09:48 -0000
Bill,

I have used this type antenna for several years. It is a very common VHF/UHF
antenna because of its simplicity. It makes a great 17 meter antenna and is
easy to construct without a lot of real estate.

I offer further comment embedded below:

Feed point is at the top of the skirt and the base of the 1/4 wave vertical
on top.
Coax shield to skirt and center to top vertical.

   >2.  what is the feed point impedance?

Nominal 50 ohm. This is accomplished by the angle of the skirt to the driven
element.

   >3.  Are the lower ends of the "guys" grounded?

Nope. They should have insulators at the 1/4 wave point. The more skirt
wires you install the more uniform the radiation pattern.

   >4. Why is it important that the Coax feeds do not cross?

Good question. That one is above my pay grade.

   * 73's Jim W5IFP *