Re: [TowerTalk] hardline bending radius

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] hardline bending radius
From: K8RI <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2012 21:50:54 -0500
On 11/18/2012 6:36 PM, Steve Maki wrote:
On 11/18/2012 5:22 PM, Jim Lux wrote:

  Does anyone have a good idea of minimum bending radius for  the 1/2
inch
cable TV hardline? I have been told anything from 5" to 50". I
believe 5"
is way  too sharp but 50"??? I sure that 50" would not cause any
problems
with the cable but ...

     I recollect that the minimum bending radius for all  coaxes is 6
times
the diameter. For 1/2" RG-8, that'd be 3 inches.

I think that's for coax with braided shield (the RG-8, RG-213) kind.

Right. Hardline, whether corrugated or smooth wall, is usually specified
at 10 times diameter = minimum bend radius.

The LMR series is notably less than typical while the UF versions have an even shorter minimum bend radius. I think standard LMR-400 is only one inch, non repeatable, but they have the minimum radius, both repeatable and non repeatable listed on their site. Don't depend on my memory!

73

Roger (K8RI)

BTW, RG-8 is really 3/8" coax, so if 6xD is the spec, it should be OK
wound on a 4.5" coil form for example. I would be concerned though about
foam dielectric RG8 though on that small of a form.

-Steve K8LX