Re: [TowerTalk] Rebar base for new 18HT installation?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>, "Allen Brier N5XZ" <n5xz@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rebar base for new 18HT installation?
From: "Patrick Greenlee" <patrick_g@windstream.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2013 14:00:08 -0600
In general, for standard mixes, as concrete cures it achieves 90% of its final strength in 28 days. Depending on the safety factor inherent in your design, your concrete may be adequately cured sooner than that. Keeping the concrete wet as it cures is a good thing. In summer it is a good idea to use a water mist to keep the concrete from overheating due to its heat production. In winter at below freezing temps the heat keeps the concrete from freezing but may require straw or other insulation over it to keep more heat in.

If you get professional help in pouring concrete beware the inclination of the concrete guy to add too much water. More water makes the mix runny and super easy to pour but reduces the strength of the final product. Stiffer mixes retain more of the theoretical strength of that mix. Sometimes concrete is referred to as 5 bag or 6 bag or... This is the number of bags of concrete added per cubic yard. You may also hear concrete quality related in PSI as 4000 PSI or 5000 PSI concrete or...

There is also "slump." A conical cup is filled and dumped out to see how much the test sample slumps. Less slump is a stiffer mix. Too much slump and your final product is not as strong as it would have been if it slumped less.

Concrete design engineers specify the desired/required mix and slump but if too much water is added so the concrete can be "poured" rather than having to be "placed" the strength will be compromised.

There is a way to make concrete more mobile and easy to pour without reducing the final cure strength and that is to add a water reducer plasticizer. These work well but have a short pot life so they need to be added shortly before pouring the concrete.

Patrick AF5CK

-----Original Message----- From: Tom Anderson