Re: [TowerTalk] Concrete Pad for U.S. Tower TX-472

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Concrete Pad for U.S. Tower TX-472
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Jul 2015 02:38:34 -0400
I only used 3500# concrete which was more than called for. Had we moved the tower base to where I would have preferred it, it would have pretty much doubled the concrete from 5 to 10 Cu Yards. Unfortunately the yard was just too soft and even the wheelbarrows were beginning to cause ruts. It'd been another $500 to a $1000 to get it pumped, but at only $120/yard It might have been the time, Then again, with that area being in the change from clay to peat, I don't think they'd have been able to dig the hole by hand. It would have required the steel, industrial forms and the equipment to handle them.

I gotta hurry and do something about that winch. Without modification, it'll never hold up. I need to drill out the supports for the bushings and add zerks to keep them greased.. I may need to replace the bushings with sintered bronze, grooved to distribute the grease. What ever, the industrial supplier will provide what I need.

The problem is, it takes me so much longer to do things, and I still estimate times as I did when everything worked.

Oh! I ordered the standard tilt plate, but one that doesn't go on top. I Think I'll run the mast up another 3 feet and mount the 144/440 duoband vertical on top.

73

Roger (K8RI)