Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna Analyzers

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna Analyzers
From: "Paul Christensen" <w9ac@arrl.net>
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2018 18:47:03 -0500
>"The VNWA is a nice unit but it's WAY WAY WAY to delicate for serious field
>work.  The newest variation with the micro USB is a step back because that
>connector is far more fragile than the old hunk-square type A USB connector.
>Guys who use them "all the time" in the field are apparently much more
>disciplined than I am.  The other issue is that it requires a computer to
>work.  So it's workable on the ground, but if you have to go up the tower,
>then it's a problem.  And the software is a long way from intuitive - but it
>does work fine once you figure out how to use it.  The myVNA software used
>with the N2PK requires virtually zero learning curve.  I love the GUI and the
>N2PK but this is even more non-portable in that my N2PK requires a parallel
>port to drive it as well as the computer.  So it's attracted to the bench and
>never goes for a field trip."

My $0.02.  I own the USB version of the N2PK VNA and as Jeff points out, the
myVNA GUI from G8KBB is very intuitive.  I have tried the VNWA GUI with the
N2PK but found that setup is more complicated and graphics quality isn't nearly
as good as myVNA.

I used to lug around a tablet PC and gel-cell when making field measurements
with my N2PK VNA, but now use RigExpert 230 and 55 Zoom models in the field.
They've worked very well in high AM BC fields, display graphics is good, and
the batteries seem to last forever.  Probably 95% of what I need in the field
can be accomplished with either RigExpert single-port CIA rather than 2-port
VNA measurements.  Most of my S21 measurements are done on the workbench.

Another excellent VNA is the Array Solutions VNA2180.  For detailed S11 and
S21, I like it as much as the N2PK and graphics quality is excellent with
W5BIG's software.  All the analyzers mentioned have a HF or VHF frequency limit
but I rarely need measurements beyond VHF.

Paul, W9AC