Re: [TowerTalk] Orion 2800 Rotator Cable Replacement

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>, <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Orion 2800 Rotator Cable Replacement
From: "Bob Shohet, KQ2M" <kq2m@kq2m.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2019 17:41:18 -0500
Hi Jim,

”A major advantage of using stretched wire is that un-stretched copper
will stretch under tension over years. Before changing to stretched
wire,”

I have seen you mention this a number of times in the past and I have been
meaning to ask you some questions about it.

My non-engineering understanding of wires and stretch is that a given wire
after being subject to variable strength forces over a given period of time,
will stretch only so far before it breaks.  Assuming that that is conceptually
correct, let’s say that we have two wires – Wire A and Wire B.  Wire A has been
pre-stretched before being put up and is now compared against Wire B which has
just been put up without being pre-stretched

Now we subject both wires to the same forces over the same period of time.  I
would expect that going forward Wire A will not stretch as far as Wire B, but
is more likely to break and break sooner under significant force than Wire B
because it has already been pre-stretched.  Wouldn’t this be correct?

If this is not correct, can you please explain why?

Tnx & 73

Bob  KQ2M