Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Collapse in South Dakota

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Collapse in South Dakota
From: David Gilbert <ab7echo@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2023 10:43:24 -0700

I think ham radio tower installations have far too unpredictable potential failure modes to make generalizations.  Many are short enough to be relatively stiff and would tend to lay down in the case of a failed guy.  Some are overloaded and/or vulnerable to twisting, which would tend to bring them down in a heap.  Others are poorly maintained and could fail in all sorts of ways.  The results could be different in every case, and I've seen pictures of several of them.  If I was making rules for private tower installations I'd require that set back as well.

73,
Dave   AB7E