Re: [VHFcontesting] LOTW and Rover Ops

To: "Mills, Wayne N7NG" <N7NG@arrl.org>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] LOTW and Rover Ops
From: Brian McCarthy <rfacres@akorn.net>
Date: Sat, 08 Nov 2003 11:44:17 -0500
Wayne,

I agree. Rovers will need to use the multiple locations feature of TQSL and then the log needs to be broken into separate pieces for each location (grid). It is a bit labor intensive for a rover that has activated quite a number of grids, but it does make sense.

On the other hand, this is really unfortunate and troublesome for quite a number of DX callsign situations. I have operated as P40X on HF in the past and I hope to activate the same call on VHF in the future. The P40 callsigns are only issued for "special event" situations and typically have a very short authorized time. To be exact, my latest P40X authorization from the Aruba telecommunications office specifies December 30, 1999 through January 15, 2000. Due to the very specific nature in the "legalese" of LoTW, I have requested and received a certificate for only that operation. This locks me out of being able to request additional and separate certificates for the dates of Jan. 1 through Jan. 9, 1999; Jan. 1 through Jan. 15, 1998; and Jan 23 through Feb. 2, 1997.

The message here is, do not expect to be able to register separate certificates for the same callsign even if you legitimately cannot claim to have held the callsign on a continuous basis and really need separate certificates. This will be a problem for anyone that has held a callsign, let it go or expire, had another callsign in the meantime and then regained the original.

I urge the ARRL to fix this severe deficiency of the TQSL and LoTW system.

Brian McCarthy
NX9O, occasionally P40X

P.S. - Anyone wishing to be advised of my plans can me send a direct note off of the list. I do not have a firm schedule yet. I expect to try 222 and maybe 432 EME in JT44 mode with limited time windows near moon set on Aruba.

Mills, Wayne N7NG wrote:

Jim,

Only one certificate is required (or allowed) for each distinct callsign. Grid squares and other data are handled by defining different station locations for each certificate. This is done in the TQSL program. If you were to create different certificates for callsigns that you didn't actually use, there could be no matches.

73, Wayne, N7NG/1, Logbook Administrator
ARRL Membership Services Department