Re: [VHFcontesting] LoTW for Rovers

To: "John (JK) Kalenowsky, K9JK" <k9jk73@msn.com>,vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] LoTW for Rovers
From: Tom Carney <tomc7@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 09:05:33 -0700
John (JK) Kalenowsky, K9JK wrote:
> A "diversion" from the present thread...are there any ROVERS who have
> used/are using LoTW?
>
> As I understand...a "Separate" "Key" (or security certificate) is needed for
> EACH Location (Grid Square) from which a ROVER wants to enter QSOs...a real
> PITA (that's Pain In The Anterior or you may select a different "A" word) if
> you ask me. Seems like there's GOT to be a BETTER way to to do that withOUT
> degrading the "integrity" of the LoTW system.
>
> If my understanding is wrong, I welcome correction/clarification!
>
> 73, JK

No you don't need a separate certificate for each location.  You do need
to set up a separate location (QTH) for each place you operate.  You
also need a certificate for a rover call (AA1AA/R).  After each contest
you then need to create a separate .tq8 file for each location and
upload it.

I did it for a while but was getting such a low hit rate I've become
rather lax at doing so.  Now I usually only upload from somewhat rare
grid squares.

Another problem you will encounter.  Some people will log a rover with
out the /r.  This results in a mis-match in LOTW, IE not a confirmed
QSL.  With eQSL you see these QSO as un-confirmed contacts.  While I was
uploading to eQSL, I got almost as many QSL without the /r as with.  I
suspect the same thing occurs with LOTW but have no way of knowing.

73,  Tom  K6EU aka K6EU/r