Re: [VHFcontesting] Another rookie question

To: k4gun@comcast.net, vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Another rookie question
From: Jimk8mr@aol.com
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2007 23:45:36 EST
Steve,

>From one who has done a little bit of roving, and a good deal more  from home:

It depends on how many bands you have.  I have never quite  understood the
"144.237" or some odd stated frequency logic, but I think it is  more
appropriate for rovers with lots of microwave bands than it is for a rover
with just 3
or 4 bands.

If you are just on 3 or 4 bands (I assume that is the case if you are just
starting out) I'd suggest operating as close to the center of activity that you
 can without getting buried under the bigger stations.  That would mean as
close to 144.200 on two, or to 50.125 or up on six (but not below  50.125).

I find CQing on 222 or above is not worthwhile.  You just work guys  there by
moving up from qsos on 6 or 2.

Make a point to CQ on both 6 and 2.  There are lots of HF+6M rigs out  there,
that won't be active on 2M.

Try to run as much as you can. If you are at a good location (i.e.  high) you
should have good success.  If the location is only mediocre,  you'll have to
spend more time finding and calling who you can hear.

Good luck.  I hope you'll be able to get to some high spots, and be  able to
make it over the mountains and into EN91!

73  -  Jim  K8MR

In a message dated 12/22/2007 11:07:47 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,