Re: [VHFcontesting] Good places for VHF Contesting?

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Good places for VHF Contesting?
From: kb8u vhf <kb8u_vhf@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2009 23:24:18 +0000
You could use geographic information system software and:
1. Load in 3-D topographical information for the whole region
2. Load in the location of all known stations and what ERP and antenna height
they have.
3. From each point in #1:
  Compute the path loss from that point to each station in #2
  If the path loss is low enough, add it to a "theoretical score" for that point
4. the point with the highest "theoretical score" is "the best".

Step 3 may take "a very, very long time" so you would probably need to minimize
the number of locations checked by just choosing the top 100,000 highest points
in the region.
It also ignores practical concerns like accessibility or ownership so if that
is a concern then you could just load in places you could actually operate from.

It also ignores variables like known good tropo paths and man-made noise.  That
is much harder to quantify so "the best" should be left in quotes!  Of course
#2 is also going to be only an approximation, too.

Food for thought.

73,  Russ  KB8U