Re: [VHFcontesting] Getting beginners interested in VHF Contesting

To: "'James Duffey'" <jamesduffey@comcast.net>, "'VHF Contesting Reflector'" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Getting beginners interested in VHF Contesting
From: "Eugene Zimmerman" <ezimmerm@erols.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2010 12:34:08 -0500
I just went back to look at the WA5VJB cheap yagis. They are specifically
designed to be easy to build from readily available materials - wood booms
if you want.

HF guys tend to be even cheaper than VHF guys if such can be imagined. If it
costs them more than a few dollars to try a new band they are likely not to
try. So that is the reason for mentioning the Cheap Yagis. If you want to
pay more money you can send Mike Staal or Dave Olean your dollars and they
will provide you with an excellent antenna that will work. If you just want
to try something you can do the Cheap Yagi or one of the other designs
Duffey mentions.

No fancy test equipment is needed. Just carefully repeating what Kent tells
you are the dimensions. For that matter a good HF SWR meter will almost
always work as a directional coupler on 6 meters [all the kw swr bridges do
that very well] and probably will be servicable on 2 meters though I haven't
tried this - power output readings will be inaccurate on 2 but swr readings
won't be off by that much I believe.

I don't recommend it but I believe the 706 is protected against running into
an open [no antenna] and probably a short as well [somebody check me on this
if I am incorrect - mine never blew up but as I said I DON'T RECOMMEND DOING
THIS]. The amplifier has a fold back circuit that shuts down the 706 final
to a very low output. So anything below a 2:1 SWR probably won't do any
damage.

What about six meters if you already have an HF station? You can get a
servicable antenna from your 40 meter dipole. For close in work it is better
if the dipole is horizontal rather than a sloper or a vertical but for Es it
doesn't matter. A 40 meter dipole will operate like 7 half waves in phase on
6 meters and usually with a low enough SWR that you do not need a tuner.
There will be peaks and nulls but hey - it takes power and works people. If
you like what you hear you can always buy or build a real beam. But give
yourself a chance - do this either during some kind of contest or between
the months of mid-May to mid-July so you have a chance to encounter some E
skip. [In case you have a 160 meter antenna, it will probably work on 6 as
well though the comments about horizontal vs vertical apply here too].

73 Gene W3ZZ