Re: [VHFcontesting] Getting beginners interested in VHF Contesting

To: "'Tom Carney'" <tomc@carneysugai.com>, <VHFcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Getting beginners interested in VHF Contesting
From: "Eugene Zimmerman" <ezimmerm@erols.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Mar 2010 17:00:54 -0500
Useful information Tom.

K8CC and I have been talking about an in-line tribander with 2 meters in
front of 6 meters and 432 in front of 2 meters. No intercalation. I *think*
you can intercalate the elements but the design becomes much more difficult.
For a small beam with 2 elements {Moxxon] on 6 and maybe 6 el on 2 and 10-11
el on 432 that is still only about 15 feet long. No problem for a fixed
location but the smaller size for a rover antenna would be nice - if it can
be done. The number of feedlines depend on the individual situation. For
someone with some talent and a K3 Elecraft, the K3 can do all your switching
seamlessly. For an FT100 or IC706 you are better with separate feedlines or
if running less than 200 watts some kind of diplexer for 2 and 432.

The Cushcraft is clearly NOT the way to go. I think - at a price - the
Ariane Arrays tribander would have done the job but they are gone now. Quad
driven elements work well but you still have a 3 dimension problem for all
those elements. Linear yagis are better mechanically IF you can get them to
work right. Wayne's gain figures for a 3 el multiband quad seem to be in the
right ballpark, Maybe K8CC can homebrew something linear that is
reproducable and cheap.

Dave will likely have some comments on what I've said. It's relatively easy
to talk about it but the devil's in the details of how to do it in real
life.

73 Gene W3ZZ