[WriteLog] Serial Port CW - Choppy CW?

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Serial Port CW - Choppy CW?
From: n6rfm@charter.net (Bob Mattaliano)
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2001 12:04:39 -0500
Hi Gang,

Good exchange.  Please allow me to add a few more thoughts/opinion.

- CW keying quality remains a definitive feature/hallmark of CT under DOS
mode.

- If you are happy with the features/limitations of DOS, then CT is super.

- WriteLog and it's compatibility with a multi-tasking environment (Windows
xx) represented a quantum leap FORWARD in contest software evolution, IF you
want to take advantage of the features this OS type offers.  I DO....

- Before XP, I don't recall more than a few choppy CW exchanges except when
I brought the system (AMD P2-500, 256K RAM) to "it's knees" by running all
kinds of other things in the background (e.g., DXTelnet, Geoclock, Outlook,
a server application and a few more in case there were any cycles or memory
left).  At the speeds I send at, I'm sure no one noticed but me.   :-)

- I added a W5XD keyer (homebuilt version) to allow for an upgrade to an NT
type OS (XP in fact).  Drat that Bill Gates for taking away LPT control and
not providing drivers for us.  I like the keyer, it works great and provides
ME with satisfactory flexibility with some FUTURE functionality in reserve
without LPT use.  I REALLY LIKED being able to get rid of the second LPT
port (physically) from the machine to free up a slot for other stuff (extra
soundcard ?) and keeping my single remaining LPT port for printer use only.

- It was MY choice to move forward on the OS side.  IMHO, the features
offered by WL (soundcard audio I/O for RTTY/SSB, networking, rig control,
rotor control, etc., etc.) relative ease to set up and use these without a
doubt make it premier contest logger at this time.  Thanks Wayne ! (I also
like XP, especially the "System Restore" function !)

- I do not expect COMPLETE hardware or software backwards compatibility as
OS's evolve.  I may not always like the path/implementation (Win 98 was a
dog).

- So for now, I am very happy with the configuration at this QTH, given that
I wanted to use an NT based OS.

- Your mileage may vary and I hope to hear YOU in the next contest!

Very Best Wishes to ALL of you for a Merry Christmas and Safe and Happy New
Year !!

73,

Bob
bob@n6rfm.com