Re: [WriteLog] Several annoying problems from ARRL SS CW

To: writelog@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Several annoying problems from ARRL SS CW
From: halken <halken@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2015 17:10:57 -0500
Re: Packet filtering. I suggest using CC User (free download from VE7CC) as a buffer between the cluster and WL. It will output spots to port 7300 where WL can pick them up. CC User allows straightforward filtering choices without having to know any of the cluster/telnet command line commands. It also will limit - and smooth out - spot traffic rate. I think WL can now handle any spot rate the cluster can throw at it, but CC User makes that moot.

As an alternative, or in addition, consider using an alias on the cluster during contests. I also hold the call NN4GG. If I am running assisted I log in as NN4GG, not N4GG. The cluster filters for NN4GG are set up for contesting and I never need to change them. The cluster filters for N4GG are set differently (set up for general DXing).

WRT to the lag coming from paddles back to F keys, I have noticed that if I go to setup>ports>CW PTT, just open that window and click "OK" to close it, windows will take up to 2 seconds to close the window and will leave PTT pulled down (enabled). Hitting Esc gets me back to receive and ready to contest. It's now a habit - I just do it once, every time I launch WL. It cuts the 100 msec or so lag between F-keys (or "enter") and CW out of the micro-keyer down to so close to zero I can't detect it, and seems to speed up return-from-paddles to F-keys. Meanwhile, the return-from-paddles lag is still far too long (usually but not always). I believe Wayne has it on his list...

73,
Hal N4GG