[3830] CWopsT N8XX QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n8xx@arrl.org
Subject: [3830] CWopsT N8XX QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2017 04:28:48 +0000
CWops Mini-CWT Test - 0300Z Mar 2

Call: N8XX
Operator(s): N8XX
Station: N8XX

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: MICHIGAN
Operating Time (hrs): 1

------------
  160:   0
   80:  31
   40:   0
   20:   0
   15:   0
   10:   0
------------
Total:  31  Mults = 31  Total Score = 961

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

Wow! The 0300Z session is REALLY different from the 1300 and 1900Z sessions.

I plunked down on 3536.0 KHz, a very clear FQ at the beginning, and all was
well until about 0330Z, when the "mob" descended on 80 meter.  One,
then another and sometimes a many as 3 stations (besides me) were
"running" at the same time within 50 Hz or so of each otehr.  I
decided this time, other than dragging out my 10 KW super station (which (don't
have, but almost wished I had tonight) I decided to stick on the frequency,
continue to call CQ with a 3 second break between calls, rather than trying to
find another frequency.  After some time, I had a clear frequency for a few
seconds, until another "very considerate" op would come along, do a
single "QRL?" and immediately plop down with a CQ a second or less
later.

So much for "the Amateurs Creed" - just plop down on a frequency
after one "QRL?" and less than a second later, call CQ.  That's the
real operating style of at least a half dozen members of this CWops community.
These ops apparently were hearing me, because they often were asking for fills.
I have no remores because I just continued my "runs.  You don't believe me?
  Check the RBN.

Now, I'll get off my soapbox and gloat a bit.  It seems that 5 watts or less
CAN compete with the "full gallon" stations.  In previous events I'd
have moved, but  with such a crowd I'd probably have NOT found a clear
frequency.

And, NO, I'm NOT much of a contest op.  I just like to make a few Q's now and
then to prove that I'm not "completely over the hill" after being a
CW Operator for 65+ years.

72/73 de n8xx Hg
QRP >99.44% of the time