[3830] CWopsT K9ZO HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CWopsT K9ZO HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Fri, 05 Jun 2020 05:18:42 +0000
                    CWops Mini-CWT Test - 0300Z Jun 4

Call: K9ZO
Operator(s): K9ZO
Station: K9ZO

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Illinois
Operating Time (hrs): 1

------------
  160:
   80:    8
   40:  142
   20:
   15:
   10:
------------
Total:  150  Mults = 150  Total Score = 22,500

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

40 meter and is very noisy with QRN, and even on the SAL30 it is -100 dB.  At
the end I went outside and saw the lightning bolts hitting about 20 miles east.
(AC9S QTH) At 0312Z had 36 QSOs. At 0320 and 60 QSOs.  At 0339 had 106 QSOs. No
chance for 200 now. I should have changed something at this point to keep the
rate up because it was not going to get any better  At 0356 went to 80 for 8
QSOs.

Flame time:
Of course, the SteppIR did not work on 40. That was and edge I needed. Also the
Flex 6600 continues to be problematic in that it hangs and you must either hit
escape or touch the paddles.  I could try a faster computer, but it seems to be
network latency.  I should be able to get over 200 an hour, but these things are
slowing me down. The Flex PGXL is in Houston for the repairs I found after one
minute of use.  When Matt called to see if I wanted mine which had been on order
for half a year I specifically asked about the SWR problems that I had seen in
an early version.  He told me they were fixed and recommended that I buy the
amp.  The email I received from the tech department indicated they did
engineering changes related to SWR problems.  Any bets that they did not fix the
noisy fan problem?  I can't hear the weak guys who come back when the amp is
running. And what about the tuner I was supposed to get for being an early
adopter?  I was surprised to find out it was "under development"
instead of being shipped to my shack.  Honest truth.  It is time to read up on
K4 and KPA1500.  JK Navassa antenna looks promising because with 2 elements it
has a broad pattern and not much F/B.  But the 30/40 yagi might be too much for
the M2-2800.  Also there are some Optibeams that look promising for DXing.  I
would probably need a low tower to make this all work.  I'm glad this is a
hobby.