[AMPS] Re: amp input tuned circuits

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Re: amp input tuned circuits
From: measures@vc.net (Rich Measures)
Date: Mon, 12 May 97 08:26:21 -0700

>> Try to ask few well-known contest teams from old soviet
>> republics,serbs, slovens or croats what amplifiers are they
>> using. I have nothing against the use of power but I want it
>> "smart & green" not " brute & dirty ".
>>
>> By the way, I was shocked to heard few days ago a well known
>> contest operator telling to Martti, OH2BH how he's working on
>> WPX SSB: 4kW output from a 1955 class "C" russian amplifier
>> used for jamming "Voice of America" in the cold war and
>> deliberate use of a 20dB's of compression to keep some
>> competitors far away from his frequency. Another famous 9A
>> contester is using an old 5KW 13.56MHz heating oscillator.
>> I can hear him 25KHz around his frequency,from 1000 miles
>> distance and the problem is not on my FT-1000D front-end or
>> filtering.
>>
>> 73 de Morel, 4X1AD
>
>Maybe this is for the contest reflector but I cant resist to make
>a small comment.
>As long as the contest committee doesnt do anything to those
>dirty amps/signals ofenders nothing will hapen.
A familiar story.   Here is a possible solution, Morel.  An operator with
a dirty signal has to listen or he can not make points.  Find out where
he is listening.  Calmly tell him about the IMD problem every time when
he is trying to listen.  Cite accurate measurements of the relative
strength between the splatter--at say 5kHz--and the fundamental
frequency.  If you are loud enough, and make long enough transmissions,
he is not going to be scoring as many points as if he was running a clean
signal and you were not telling him about his splatter every time he
tried to listen.  You may have to keep this up for 15 minutes, or more.
However, be careful to NOT GET PISSED OFF.   ---You have to more
persistent and more gentlemanly than he is.  I suppose you could say that
it is a contest within a contest.
Rich---

R. L. Measures, 805-386-3734, AG6K