[AMPS] Need HV insulators/feedthru

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Need HV insulators/feedthru
From: km1h@juno.com (km1h @ juno.com)
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 1997 09:37:52 EST
On Tue, 09 Dec 1997 07:25:34 -0500 "Kenneth D. Grimm"
<grimm@lynchburg.net> writes:
>Rich Measures wrote:
>
>> Millen HV connectors suck -- i.e., they are made of phenolic resin
>--
>> which is hygroscopic, so the connector insulation literally sucks
>> moisture out of the air.
>> -  I use a banana plug and a banana jack.  The plug goes on the end
>of
>>
>> 15kV-rated silicone rubber wire.  The banana jack mounts in the
>center
>> of
>> a 3" square of 0.125" g-10.  It's good for 15A.
>> Rich...
>
>I share your feelings about the Millen connector for use in QRO amps.
>However, your suggestion to use a banana plug and jack is
>frighteningly
>dangerous in my opinion.  A child or even a pet might inadvertantly
>pull
>a banana plug out of its jack thus exposing a possibly very lethal
>metal
>tip.  I have tripped over wires coming out of the back of equipment.
>If
>the wire was a hot 15 kv line connected on one end with a banana plug,
>might have come to a better understanding of how a bug-zapper works.
>
>High voltage kills and that is why commercial amp designers make it
>difficult for you to get into the amp without shorting out the high
>voltage line and shorting sticks are recommended in most good books on
>home-brew high voltage power supplies.  One should make every effort
>make inadvertant access to the HV line difficult, if not impossible.
>
>What you suggest will work and frankly has a certain appeal in the
>simplicity of installation and use.  But it is a little to much like
>crawling through a fence with a loaded gun.  I'll take my own advice
>and
>use an HN connector, or Carl's advice and use a connector mounted on a
>plexiglass plate and leave my collection of banana plugs for the low
>voltage purposes for which they were intended.
>
>Sorry if this has sounded preachy.
>
>73,
>
>Ken K4XL
>grimm@lynchburg.net

Not preachy in the least Ken. I respect HV and hope to see my 57th
birthday Saturday at least!
A source of  "real" HV connectors is Alden Products in Brocton, Ma. Ask
for a catalog at 508-583-0160.
I used to carry a real neat 20KV rated connector and plug that sold for
$9 or so and will probably start carrying them again. I just called for a
new catalog.

I also carry the Millen, yes they are still made in 1997!   But as others
have said I would not use them at their maximum ratings. They work fine
in the L4/L7 and Titan amps.

73   Carl  KM1H