[AMPS] Need HV insulators/feedthru

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Need HV insulators/feedthru
From: philk5pc@connect.net (Phil Clements)
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 1997 10:26:55 -0600
>>> Millen HV connectors suck -- i.e., they are made of phenolic resin
>>> which is hygroscopic, so the connector insulation literally sucks
>>> moisture out of the air.

Only partially correct. The yellow connector, Millen P/N 37501 (low  loss)
is, but the black and red connectors, Millen P/N 37001 are not.

>>> -  I use a banana plug and a banana jack.  The plug goes on the end
>>>of 15kV-rated silicone rubber wire.  The banana jack mounts in the
>>>center of a 3" square of 0.125" g-10.  It's good for 15A.

Not good engineering practice at all! OSHA would have a field day with
this one!

>>use an HN connector, or Carl's advice and use a connector mounted on a
>>plexiglass plate and leave my collection of banana plugs for the low
>>voltage purposes for which they were intended.

The HN connectors work great. I use the Millens here with great success
by punching a 1 inch hole in the metal and mounting the connector through
a plexiglass or fiberglass sheet centered on the hole. I have used this
method with >6000 volts for years with the red and black Millen connectors
with no failures to date. HN connectors are super, but very expensive and
hard to find.

(((73)))
Phil, K5PC