[AMPS] 6m KW-class Amp design?

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] 6m KW-class Amp design?
From: measures@vc.net (Rich Measures)
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 98 17:00:34 -0800

Carl, KM1H,  wrote:
>....... The swamping resistance can be anywhere
>from 20 Ohms or so up to about 200 Ohms dependent upon drive available.
>With that degree of swamping neutralization is not reuired and the amp is
>completely stable.

It is generally considered to be bad luck to say the words "completely
stable", Carl.  .  Tempt not fate.

>Another advantage in using a more conventional circuit is that it is
>simple to include the G3SEK design screen regulator for best IMD since VR
>tubes and Zeners do not have the low impedence required for ultimate
>performance.

Not all shunt regulators are equal.  Some zeners have good dynamic Z.
Some do not.  You gotta do your homework.  It is advisable to not exceed
1/3 of the rated dissipation.  (20), high-quality, 5w, 20v zeners mounted
on a perfboard, biased with up to 80mA, will provide 400v of fairly stiff
screen potential.  However, for tetrodes (8166, 8169, 8171, 8281...)
that use higher screen potentials, a 723-controlled FET pass regulator,
with a suitable screen current bleeder R to guard against
potentially-fatal reverse screen-current, has advantages.  (circuit on my
Web site)
-  cheers

Rich...