[AMPS] What Tube for Home brew

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] What Tube for Home brew
From: k1ta@earthlink.net (Bob Marston)
Date: Tue, 06 Oct 1998 23:57:37 -0700
At 02:24 AM 10/6/98 -0700, you wrote:

>I am considering building a new amp, we seem to have a good choice of
>tube. Which would the panel reccomend
>
>from these
>
>4cx16000, 3cx1200z7, 3cx800, 4cx800, I would prefer to select the tube
>that will be readily available in the future, since many of the

Hi John

Well as to the 4CX16000   Don't you think that's overkill for a 1500 watt
amp. In all seriousness the 4CX1600B is a nice tube and George Daughters
has built a real nice amp around one. A pair of 4CX800As will have higher
filament thermonic emission.

After inquiring with Eimac on my own future amplifier project I was told
that the 3CX1200Z7/YU181 is no longer manufactured. A newer version with an
improved anode dissipation head is being made under the designation
3CX1600Z7/YC229. The distribution rights were given exclusively to Vernon
Howell of Howell Engineering. I wrote him to obtain a data sheet. The most
significant piece of data is the price. $687.00 And who knows how long
Eimac will produce them.

For that type of money you can obtain a 4CX5000, a socket and a screen
supply. You'll have a more durable bottle with more headroom that will be
around for many years to come. So you have to throttle it back to get 1500
watts out.

If the price of amplifier tubes seems out of kilter with the rest of the
market your right. Richarson Electronics in the late 70s was convicted of
Federal  AntiTrust violations regarding the distribution of Power Amplifier
tubes which were exclusive and monopolistic. The effects of which are still
being felt by Hams today.

73s
Bob Marston K1TA