[AMPS] SB-220 TUNE Cap Arcing

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] SB-220 TUNE Cap Arcing
From: measures@vc.net (Rich Measures)
Date: Fri, 9 Oct 98 21:07:44 -0800

>I have an SB-221, to which I added 10m, and also performed the
>input circuit changes per AG6K mods. Now have very low VSWR on all bands.
>Either as a coincidence, or result, I now have the TUNE
>variable cap arcing when tuning over 500w.
>Any thoughts why this happens and how to correct?
>Seems to do it on more than 1 band.
>Thanks in advance,
>Bennett ko2ok in NJ

The Tune-C in a 220/early-221 typically has a withstanding ability of
over 3500v.  The actual peak RF potential on ssb is around 2600v.  Unless
the Tune-C has melted and/or bent plates, arcing should not be taking
place.  If the Tune-C looks ok, and intermittent arcing is taking place,
my guess is that the amplifier is intermittently oscillating c. 110MHz.

Rich. Measures.  Web site:  www.vcnet.com/measures