[AMPS] SB-220 TUNE Cap Arcing

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] SB-220 TUNE Cap Arcing
From: km1h@juno.com (km1h@juno.com)
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 1998 11:04:07 -0400

On Mon, 12 Oct 98 08:42:38 -0000 Jon Ogden <jono@enteract.com> writes:

>>Hi Jon,
>>I appreciate the response from the reflector.
>>The SB221/220 had the Harbach nichrome  suppressor kit installed some
>>years ago, which got rid of arcing I had at that time (although
>>I don't remember where it arced at that time).

Make sure those suppressor resistors have not burned out. They can be
open with no external signs of damage.

>>The TUNE C arcing happens on at least the 10m, 15m and 20m bands.
>>Inspecting the Tune C shows a little black on some of the fins
>>where the arcing has occured.

>I would clean this out good.  That might not be the cause but it
>certainly doesn't help.
>
>>From original condition, I did the nichrome suppressor kit, added
>>10m (purchased bandswitch and caps/coils input circuit from KM1H),

I must "assume" that the switch alignments are correct ??

>>also did the Harbach softstart kit.  Recently did the Rich Measures
>>input circuit mods to bring down the input VSWR.
>>I thought the Tune C looked clean but someone mentioned I should
>>clean as thoroughly as possible of any dust; yet to be done.
>>Does this reply get thru to the reflector?
>
>No, it didn't, but I posted my reply through the reflector as well.
>
>As others have eloquently pointed out, it is possible to make the
>SB-220
>arc just by mistuning it.  It is possible that this happened and that
>now
>it arcs all the time becuase of damage to the cap.  Without seeing it,
>have no idea.

There are 3 versions of the SB-220 and early 221 Tune cap. One is the EF
Johnson 154-9 which does not have removable plates so you have to use a
less than ideal method to clean them.
There are 2 versions with removable plates, one is the same length as the
Johnson ( Heath # 26-131) and the other is wider spaced ( Heath #
26-164). I have replacement plates for those as well as complete caps of
all three types.

73   Carl   KM1H

>I have suggested measuring the values of the supressor resistors.
>Wether
>or not they are bad, it is good engineering practice to just do a
>sanity
>check on all the components.  It hurts no one to see if everything is
>where it should.  If the values are good, then that's great, if bad,
>then
>you gotta replace them.
>
>Anyhow, the resistors may or may not be your problem.  Mis-tuning may
>be
>your problem instead.  Follow correct tuning procedure if you aren't
>already.  If you follow correct tuning and are confident that you are
>doing it correctly, then examine all your components.
>Check the input circuits for proper construction as well.
>
>73,
>
>Jon
>KE9NA

>Jon Ogden
>
>jono@enteract.com
>www.qsl.net/ke9na

>--

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]