[AMPS] Re: N connectors

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Re: N connectors
From: G3SEK@ifwtech.demon.co.uk (Ian White, G3SEK)
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 1998 11:36:27 +0100
Carl wrote:
>It is also quite simple to assemble the connector right the first time
>and every time IF you follow the instructions for that EXACT connector
>UG-21 designator. I have never had a RF or pull test failure since I was
>taught in the Navy over 35 years ago.

For those of us who weren't lucky enough to be taught properly, the
"improved" N connectors with a captive pin and a top-hap braid ferrule
are MUCH easier to assemble correctly. There's no braid to cut and comb,
no measurements to make, and it's almost impossible to get the position
of the inner pin wrong. Everything can be done by eye because the
assembly is self-locating.

The BNC equivalent is just as easy to assemble. Also the parts are
completely reusable (no one-time-only gaskets) so even at flea markets I
wouldn't buy any other kind.

These connectors have been around for at least 20 years and AFAIK were
invented by the British company Greenpar. There are NATO stock numbers
for them, but I don't know about UG numbers. Greenpar are now owned by
M/A-COM, and the new M/A-COM part number for a straight RG213/214 N plug
is (wait for it) N15A14E001X99.

We all love to recycle used coax connectors, but if we do have to use N
connectors for high power at VHF/UHF, it seems worthwhile to invest in
new ones wherever possible.

                           http://www.ifwtech.demon.co.uk/g3sek