[AMPS] restoring/replating

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] restoring/replating
From: km1h@juno.com (km1h@juno.com)
Date: Sun, 27 Dec 1998 18:25:53 -0500

On Sun, 27 Dec 1998 11:02:07 -0800 "Radiodan W7RF" <RFpower@radiodan.com>
writes:

>Hi Dick and the group,
>
>It is my understanding that silver oxide (tarnish) is as good of a
>conductor
>as the silver itself, which makes cleaning this tarnish of cosmetic
>value
>only. Indeed my Gonset 6M amp using a 4CX250B has so much tarnish on
>the
>silver components that it appears they used black parts! It still puts
>out
>300 watts for 9 watts input. I can live with that from a 30+ year old
>vintage amp.

Just about anything works at HF and 6M and maybe even 2M in an amp but
personal experience with silver oxide at very low RX levels and RF
connectors tells me different.
I read once that the real black coating is not silver oxide but a
resultant compound.
Not being a chemist I defer to the experts.

73  Carl  KM1H

>I have printed and saved your e-mail as it is so complete in regards
>cleaning, resilvering and then preserving silver all in one paragraph.
>Thanks!
>
>73, Dan Magro W7RF, (member SCDXC, SCCC)
>Manufacturers Rep & Distributor for HENRY Amplifiers.
>www.radiodan.com <http://www.radiodan.com> ??? RFpower@radiodan.com
><mailto:RFpower@radiodan.com> A trip to our web site is worth the
>click!

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]