[AMPS] restoring/replating

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] restoring/replating
From: wc6w@juno.com (Radio WC6W)
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 1998 00:11:56 EST

(snip)

>Which brings up another question.  I am considering building a basic
>electroplater for silver. Do I need pure silver or can I use plated
stuff
>for the source? If I cant use plated scrap, what is required to seperate
>the silver from the copper or whatever? Any books to check out of the
>library?

>73  Carl KM1H

  Yes, a pure silver (999+ fine) anode is required.   A little "ingot"
should be easy to come by at your local coin/investment shop with the
price of silver down at $5/oz.

  One nice thing is that silver plates just fine at room temperature;
most other plating operations require heating.

  The necessary chemicals are Potassium Cyanide, Potassium Carbonate and
Silver Cyanide.    As Phil noted in his reply you neither need nor want
the "brighteners" employed when plating jewelry, typically Carbon
Disulfide.

  Adequate VENTILATION is MANDATORY unless you intend to compete with Dr.
Kevorkian!  Do it OUTDOORS, if you don't happen to have a fume hood with
an exhaust fan.

 If you have access to a copy of McGraw Hill's "Printed Circuits
Handbook" by Coombs, the chemicals & operating conditions are detailed
therein.

73,
   Marv  WC6W

*

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]