[AMPS] restoring/replating

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] restoring/replating
From: km1h@juno.com (km1h@juno.com)
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 1998 11:26:25 -0500

On Sun, 27 Dec 1998 22:24:30 "Phil T. (VE3OZZ)" <phil@vaxxine.com>
writes:

>>Good info Dick but possibly regional in availability. I have been
>using
>>Tarn-X for several years now but Wal-Mart is the only place within
>about
>>20 miles of here that carries it. The instructions say not to dip
>silver
>>into the solution but I find that sometimes is the only way that
>works. I
>>pour some into a small plastic container  and use an old toothbrush
>to do
>>the cleaning. You can reuse the solution several times if you filter
>thru
>>a paper towl or coffee filter but eventually it has to be thrown
>away.
>>
>>For polish, I use BLITZ brand Silver Care with tarnish retardant also
>at
>>Wal-Mart but only $2.97 for 8oz.
>>
>>Does that Silversmith stuff really work for RF use? I've no personal
>>experience with plating but have read several posts elsewhere over
>the
>>years that real electroplating is the only proper procedure.
>>
>>Which brings up another question.  I am considering building a basic
>>electroplater for silver. Do I need pure silver or can I use plated
>stuff
>>for the source? If I cant use plated scrap, what is required to
>seperate
>>the silver from the copper or whatever? Any books to check out of
>the
>>library?
>>
>>73  Carl KM1H
>>
>Carl, you don't need pure silver. The most common electroplating
>solution
>for silver plating is silver cyanide. Cyanide gas is evolved during
>the
>electroplating process so it should be done in the garage with the
>doors
>open, or on the deck or patio or whatever.  If you use a pure silver
>electrode, you still need potassium cyanide for the electrolyte.
>Might as
>well buy the silver cyanide solution already made up.

That makes sense Phil. I have a bunch of old silver plated stuff that I
was hoping had some use in an electroplating project.

>I have a friend who is head of the electronics lab at a local
>university.
>They have an electroplating kit they use for for plating rf parts and
>connectors with gold and silver.

Ask him why the silver plated parts cant be used in the potassium cyanide
or how would I strip and convert to silver cyanide.  What to the precious
metal salvagers use?

Not that I cant go and buy the right stuff but this would be an
interesting learning experience.....outdoors of course!

 He's offered to loan it to me but I
>haven't taken him up on it yet.  Why don't I borrow this thing and
>the
>solutions and get all the particulars (voltage, current, time,
>solution
>souces etc).  I'll pass the info along and maybe save you some time.

Possibly many of us Phil.

73  Carl  KM1H

>I've learned from this guy that a "matt" finish is far superior to a
>"mirror" finish for rf work - apparently better conductivity and
>longevity,
>and the film is thicker which is important for rf.  Mirror finish is
>good
>cosmetically, but not AS good as matt finish for rf. I recently
>looked
>inside an AL-1200 and saw that the tank L had a matt finish.
>
>Phil
>

>--

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]