[AMPS] restoring/replating

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] restoring/replating
From: johnf@futurenet.co.za (John Fielding)
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 1998 09:11:21 +0200

Correct  - I used to work for Wingrove and Rogers in the UK, the leading
tuning capacitor manufacturer (eventually went bust and bought by
Jacksons).  I learnt from their industrial chemist that decorative (shiny)
silver plating is bad for rf.  They used a special matt silver plating
process.  The plating baths ran some fairly hefty currents but at a low
voltage, can't remember the details now.  The base coat was pure copper
onto the brass parts.

I was once told that soft solder used to fasten the parts together produced
a black line on the surface when silver plating was applied on top of it.
The base coat of copper stops this.

John    ZS5JF