[AMPS] Edge wound .1-40 uH Variable from SSN - comments-?

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Edge wound .1-40 uH Variable from SSN - comments-?
From: km1h@juno.com (km1h@juno.com)
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 01:34:08 -0500

On Thu, 11 Feb 1999 12:16:28 -0800 Rich Measures <measures@vc.net>
writes:

>>On Thu, 11 Feb 1999 11:14:47 +0100 Carsten Esch
>><carsten.esch@olympus-software.com> writes:
>>>
>>>Anyone with comments on the above mentioned inductor? How would this
>>>thing work in a
>>>
>>>a. 3CX1500A7 amp
>>>b. 3CX3000A7 amp
>>>
>>>covering 160-10m ? Or should I wound again my own coil?
>>

>>It sounds great but the proof is when it is used and survives several
>>years of tuning.
>
>?  amen.
>
>>It also seems a bit of an overkill for an 8877.
>
>?   How could we possiblly know this if the dimension of the ribbon
>was
>not given?   The tank circulating-current in an 8877 amplifier can
>easily
>be 13A-rms.   E>F. Johnson rated their 12.7mm/0.5"  ribbon inductors
>(222-series) at 15A.

Gee, your getting touchy. I said "seems" and that was based upon the
dimensions. A coil that you can stick the tube inside with room to spare
just appears a bit excessive.

>>Many have reported problems with arcing and parasitics when a roller
>coil
>>is used, particularly the large edgewound Multronics style.
>
>?   I used such an inductor in my 8171 amplifier.  I shorted the
>unused
>turns with 5/8" strap.  There was no arcing at the inductor.  However,
>
>there was initially an, intermittent  vhf parasite.  The cure was to
>use
>a lower vhf-Q anode parasitic-suppressor.

And how many years have you used the coil? How many bands? Hours of
operation daily and number of retunes per day?   Or does it just stay on
75M ?

>>Any idea who actually manufacturers the coil? I hope it is not a
>certain
>>West Coast outfit.
>
>?  Are you thinking about the mfg. that uses Delrin for coil forms in
>roller coils.?

They are in Ohio. The other operation is in your state but the quality is
similar.

>>What is the price?
>>
>?  Surplus Sales sells the 5.uH Collins 180t roller-L for $35.  Fair
>Radio sells the same item for $10.

I think you slipped a few gears Rich. I'll try again...what is the price
of the discussion inductor???

73  Carl  KM1H

>>Regards,
>>>
>>>Carsten, DL6LAU
>>>
>>>? 2-10 kw Power Handling ?
>>>? Taper Wound Front End ?
>>>? Edge Wound Coil All Silver Plated ?
>>>
>>>(IRV)RI-40: It's here at last! The ultimate variable inductor. Isn't
>>>your tuner or amplifier project worth the very best? Made
>exclusively
>>>for Surplus Sales of Nebraska.
>

>>>.1-40 uH variable edge wound inductor. Taper wound lower end (higher
>
>>>Q) for better results beyond 20 MHz. Enough inductance for work
>below 160
>>>meters too. All rf surfaces are thick silver plated. Quad 10 amp
>>>contact sets on all rotating connections; coil to rotar; rotor to
>>>shaftarmature; shaft armature to end
>>>plate contacts. There are no weak links with our mil-spec design.
>>>
>?  "This ship is absolutely unsinkable due to the use of watertight
>compartments."
>
>>>Perfect for 2-10 kw antenna tuners, tank network for amplifier or
>>>anywhere a larger, high Q, variable inductance is required. Be sure
>>>use our Turns Counter (SHW)TCV.
>>>
>>>5" wide, 5-1/4" high, 12-1/2" end to end, maximum dimensions. 1/4"
>>>shaft. Optional end stop kit for motor drive schemes. Add $ for kit,
>
>>>pn
>>>(IRV)RI-40ESK.
>

>Rich...
>
>R. L. Measures, 805-386-3734, AG6K, www.vcnet.com/measures

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]