[AMPS] Edge wound .1-40 uH Variable from SSN - comments-?

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Edge wound .1-40 uH Variable from SSN - comments-?
From: measures@vc.net (Rich Measures)
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 01:07:27 -0800

>On Thu, 11 Feb 1999 12:16:28 -0800 Rich Measures <measures@vc.net>
>writes:

>>>It sounds great but the proof is when it is used and survives several
>>>years of tuning.
>>
>>Ä  amen.
>>
>>>It also seems a bit of an overkill for an 8877.
>>
>>Ä   How could we possiblly know this if the dimension of the ribbon
>>was
>>not given?   The tank circulating-current in an 8877 amplifier can
>>easily be 13A-rms.   E>F. Johnson rated their 12.7mm/0.5"  ribbon inductors
>>(222-series) at 15A.
>
>Gee, your getting touchy. I said "seems" and that was based upon the
>dimensions. A coil that you can stick the tube inside with room to spare
>just appears a bit excessive.
>

>>>Many have reported problems with arcing and parasitics when a roller
>>coil is used, particularly the large edgewound Multronics style.
>>
>>Ä   I used such an inductor in my 8171 amplifier.  I shorted the
>>unused turns with 5/8" strap.  There was no arcing at the inductor.
However,
>>there was initially an, intermittent  vhf parasite.  The cure was to
>>use a lower vhf-Q anode parasitic-suppressor.
>

>And how many years have you used the coil? How many bands? Hours of
>operation daily and number of retunes per day?   Or does it just stay on
>75M ?

?   [chortle]

>>>Any idea who actually manufacturers the coil? I hope it is not a
>>certain West Coast outfit.
>>
>>Ä  Are you thinking about the mfg. that uses Delrin for coil forms in
>>roller coils.?
>>

>They are in Ohio. The other operation is in your state but the quality is
>similar.

?   ok.  A roller-coil mfg. in the land of fruits and nuts?.  .  Hmm.  .
Who is it?  We still don't know the dimensions of the ribbon.

>>>What is the price?
>>>
>>Ä  Surplus Sales sells the 5.uH Collins 180t roller-L for $35.  Fair
>>Radio sells the same item for $10.
>

>I think you slipped a few gears Rich.

?  Are those not the prices, Carl?  .   Have you ever compared Nebraska
Surplus' prices on ceramic transmitting capacitors with the prices at
Fair Radio?

Rich...